Thursday, November 1, 2007

Reformation Day

On Sunday, October 28, I attended a gorgeous Reformation Day service in downtown Milwaukee, at Trinity Lutheran church. The edifice is considered a Milwaukee landmark--a stunning Gothic style. I clicked through parts of their website this morning and this sentence caught my eye: "Trinity was founded by immigrants from Pomerania, Germany in 1847 and is the second oldest Missouri Synod Congregation in Wisconsin." How very interesting!

My senses were completely enchanted by the manifestations of beauty that filled the church--aurally, visually and spiritually. The musical part of the program centered on the hymns of Paul Gerhardt, and the concertato arrangements utilized organ, brass and choir, while allowing the congregation to join in with gusto. And yes, the performances gave me goosebumps! I have come to really love organ music for its solid intellectual content--it really is brain food--and the organist was James Freese, of Concordia University (Mequon). It is a moving experience to hear such fine playing; like the extravagance of costly perfume poured out on our Master's feet. Near the end of the service, we recited a collect for artists and musicians, and I sat there thinking what a privelege it is that God has allowed me to be an artist. How eternally grateful I am for even the small gifts God has given me, and for the time I have to practice, and the ability to use my in the service of His holy house; how wonderful it is that God has placed me in this city where I can be part of the community of artists, hear music of this calibre, and learn from others.

Naturally, I ran upstairs afterward to thank the musicians--rather enthusiastically, I'm afraid.

http://www.trinitymilwaukee.org/our_history.htm

No comments: