Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Aaron (by George Herbert)

Ever since God drew my heart to Him, I have loved reading the works of George Herbert. This man never lost the joy of being a redeemed sinner. This particular poem pricks the imagination with its use of Old Testament imagery and helps us understand the Biblical theology at work in the life and work of Jesus Christ. What a comfort to know that our sins are covered by Christ's blood, and that a perfect High Priest intercedes for us before the Throne, especially if you are a pastor, as Herbert was. He fully understood the irony of standing in a leadership position comparable to the office of a priest, when in fact he was a man suffering all the effects of Adam's Fall. He knew there was no holiness in himself and so . . .

Note: Aaron was the brother of Moses (who led Israel out of Egypt), and the first high priest appointed by God over Israel.

Hebrews 7:25-27 "Wherefore [Christ] is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. For such an high priest became us, [who is] holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself."

Aaron
Holiness on the head,
Light and perfections on the breast,
Harmonious bells below, raising the dead
To lead them unto life and rest:
Thus are true Aarons drest.

Profaneness in my head,
Defects and darkness in my breast,
A noise of passions ringing me for dead
Unto a place where is no rest:
Poor priest, thus am I drest.

Only another head
I have, another heart and breast,
Another music, making live, not dead,
Without whom I could have no rest:
In him I am well drest.

Christ is my only head,
My alone-only heart and breast,
My only music, striking me ev’n dead,
That to the old man I may rest,
And be in him new-drest.

So, holy in my head,
Perfect and light in my dear breast,
My doctrine tun’d by Christ (who is not dead,
But lives in me while I do rest),
Come people; Aaron’s drest.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love this! Herbert is amazing. Each verse surprises with new and fitting uses of the same elements.