Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pilgrim Lutheran's German Sing-Along




The first-ever German Sing-along at my church (68th and Center) was a great success. Even though we didn't advertise extensively, we had a turnout of perhaps thirty to thirty-five people, all eager to sing traditional German Christmas carols familiar from childhood.


Rather than bothering with reams of paper, I simply put the lyrics on PowerPoint slides, and took advantage of Pilgrim's newly purchased projector. We began with a quick pronunciation tutorial just to refresh our memories, and Pastor Peckman helped navigate the slides. We sang about twenty-five of what I thought were the most familiar carols, and I thought we could have used a few more. Bryant helped with just about everything, even setting up snacks for the informal social time afterward.


It was a superb time of fellowship and most of our guests were able to meet new people, increasing their German-speaking contacts. We do plan to hold a sing-along next year, so we're open to suggestions for improvement, whether on repertoire, timing, or format. Thanks for making this so much fun!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Petra,

Thanks for leaving your comment! I'm sorry you didn't know about it earlier. I thought we sent the email to everyone on the Stammtisch list. Check back next year, because we'll be doing another for sure. Sherman Park Lutheran does a German service the first week of December, and Benediction Lutheran does another the third week of December, so we tried to fit this in on the "odd" Sunday. =) The intent is the same for next year. If you can think of another place to advertise, let me know.

Emily said...

Wish Jeff and I could have been there! Sounds like much fun. I learned a little German back when we took our trip to Switzerland. I'd love to be in an environment where I could soak up more. :)